We enjoyed making homemade crackers today. Molly and Megan gladly helped. They are light and crispy, healthy and very simple. Try this recipe sometime. I took photos along the way so you could see the process.
Homemade Wheat Crackers:
- 1 pound butter or coconut oil melted
- 2 cups of boiling water
- Mix together the melted fat and the boiling water
- 5 cups of freshly ground wheat flour
- 7 cups of rolled oats.
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 2/3 cups of sugar, we used xylitol (honey or a pinch of stevia would work in place of sugar as well)
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Pour dough out onto a clean surface
- Knead the dough with your hands
- Form the dough into eight equal sized balls
- Roll out each dough ball thin like you would with pie crusts
- It is best if you make sure it is about 1/8 inch thick or less
- Using a pizza cutter or a butter knife, cut the dough into squares
- Prick each square with a fork
- Place into the oven at 350ºF for about 15-25 minutes
- Watch them periodically while you bake them. They will look crisp and golden brown when they are ready.